Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Obsession in Overdrive

Its official, this hobby has taken over my life. I woke up this morning at 5 am to get to work early so I could hit the gym first. The catch though, is that I had to be into work early, so that I could leave early and make it to my second job tonight. So, instead of 9-5, I will be working (or some illusion thereof) 5-9. Why? So that I can ride a motorcycle this summer.

Working in the non-profit sector doesn't lend itself to independent wealth. It barely lends itself to financial independence (okay, I exaggerate a little). One thing is true though, it does not support on-track riding of any variety. So, in order to compensate for this, I picked up a job delivering pizzas. Every penny of that goes right to the trackday fund. While it is nice to have that, there are days that I realize how tight the track's grip has gotten on my life. I work my normal job Monday-Friday 9-5 or 8-4, then I work at the pizza joint Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Think about that. It leaves Monday and Wednesday for a social life. Thats right, I have surrendered myself to the track. No girl wants to start dating 'that guy,' and friends don't go to happy hours on Mondays

If this wasn't enough of a commitment, I just started my workout regimen. I refuse to show up to the track physically unprepared. I will highlight the plan a little more in a future post, but needless to say this takes 5 more hours a week.

The really sad thing(or exciting, depending on your perspective) is that I am not disappointed, upset or even annoyed by the extra effort this is taking. I am just ready to be back on the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment