Friday, January 15, 2010

Training for the Track

The hardest part about working out is motivation. I have been blessed with a super-high metabolism, so I can generally eat whatever I want and stay within 5 pound range. I am also the person that enjoys walking around and generally being active. I feel like the fact that I work in front of a computer shouldn't be a reason to not make the most of the situation. The problem with this, is that I don't have (too much) excess weight to motivate me.

The motivating factor now though is that I don't have the conditioning that I need for the track. Well, not to be successful at the track anyway. So, I have started a workout regimen that will hopefully adequately prepare me. It looks like this:

Cardio: I will work on cardio on either the treadmill or bike everytime I go to the gym. I don't mean a light jog for five minutes to get the blood pumping. I mean a solid workout with varied speed and incline to make sure that I am toning my leg muscles, strengthening my heart, and building my endurance.

Flexibility: While I am on the bike flexibility is going to be important when considering the ways I am going to keep my long gangly limbs in place. Toes sliding across the pavement are not good! The bigger issue though, is the crash. If I don't get my flexibility to a more respectable level, the likelihood of injury during a crash is significantly higher. While I don't plan on crashing, I don't plan on being ignorant about that possiblity. If it should happen, I will be ready.

Muscle stamina: Strength and endurance are both very important, but to have both for extended periods of work is much more important to what we do. So, I will be taking a lower weight setting and doubling the reps. This will not only tone existing muscle mass, but also build the much needed muscle stamina.

Core Strength and Balance: Let's be honest, with the exception of your legs (which are supposed to be the part that is holding you to the machine) core muscles are the ones that hurt the most after a day at the track. I have started to build on that. Back workouts, both on the machines and gravity, have become an everyday piece of the puzzle, as have abs. NOBODY likes these exercises, so they are the hardest to get into. I have to say though, I can already feel and even see results. That does help. With these exercizes I have built in balance workouts so that as I am hanging off the side of my beautiful Gixxer, I am not out of alignment or extending myself to a point where I lose control of my body. Being able to make subtle and timely adjustments are key to keeping the geometry of the bike in order.

With all of this, my plan is to drop 6 pounds, hit an even 170, and be better toned than I have at any point previously in my life. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment